Members of the Association of Philadelphia Tour Guides adhere to the following rules, adapted from the NFTGA code of ethics and standards:
1. A professional tour guide provides a skilled, knowledgeable presentation; informs, interprets and highlights the surroundings; maintains objectivity and enthusiasm in a courteous and polite manner.
2. A professional tour guide ensures that all information presented is factual, and makes a clear distinction between what is true and what are stories, legends and opinions.
3. A professional tour guide keeps current on changes throughout the area s/he works, including but not limited to seasonal events, new exhibits, traffic laws and facilities, and follows the rules and regulations at all sites where tours will be conducted.
4. A professional tour guide is prepared for each tour when the itinerary is furnished in advance; reports on time and is responsible for facilitating the smooth, safe, efficient and timely movement of the tour.
5. A professional tour guide is sensitive to the interests and values of the tour group and does not share his/her personal views on controversial subjects such as religion, politics or lifestyles.
6. A professional tour guide knows and follows the policies of the company that contracts him/her and does not solicit a job from that company's client without the consent of the company; maintains loyalty to the company and protects the confidentiality of proprietary information. Also, s/he strives to establish a friendly and helpful rapport with the client, and uses discretion in the conduct of the personal business while on tour.
7. A professional tour guide dresses appropriately for the type of tour being conducted.
8. A professional tour guide extends professional respect and a spirit of cooperation to fellow guides, and strives to establish a good working relationship with all service providers on the tour route.
9. A professional tour guide accepts each tour as a serious commitment and cancels only when absolutely necessary, providing as much advance notice as possible.